Systems Thinking & Change
Monica Sulecio de Alvarez
Hello! I am Monica Sulecio de Alvarez. I started serving in the Systems Thinking and Change Division in 2015 as Division Board Representative. I live in Guatemala City, a country in Central America where I work as learning experience designer mainly for distance or blended situations. I hold a Master’s Degree in Education with emphasis in the Learning Sciences from Virginia Tech. I believe that systemic change starts with a shift in our perspective. I try to live mindfully, paying attention to connections. I believe that in the field of education, we need to be very strategic in what we are doing to make certain that we support learning to naturally flow. As instructional designer, I like to collaborate with L&D Departments to help them focus on e-learning that is oriented towards building skills for effective performance.
I have been serving as Secretary-Treasurer for the Systems Thinking Division since 2018. I like order, and I gladly help the Division to keep their records and documentation organized. Together with other colleagues, I have collaborated with the Division in many different ways:
• 2021 Creating a website to allow Board members easy access to the Division's files.
• 2020 Updating of Division’s bylaws and completion of membership approval process
• 2019 Production of a brief Division orientation capsule to share the basics of STC with new members
• 2018 - 2019 Production of an STC Microlearning object to help instructional designers understand the basics of systems thinking
• 2018 - Article “Avoiding Educational Technology Pitfalls for Inclusion and Equity” coauthored with Dr. Camille Dickson-Deane from the Culture, Learning and Technology Division. We received the Outstanding Article Award in 2018 from STC Division.
• 2016 - STC webinar “Shifting Paradigms from the Inside Out: Instructional Designers as Change Agents” with Dr. Julaine Fowlin
I consider STC my home in AECT. Systems Thinking and Change Division Board members are warm and welcoming. In 2021 I was honored with the Distinguished Service to the Division award. It is a Division with a long trajectory, and I would like to continue serving as Secretary-Treasurer to support the Board in keeping the Division’s information organized and handy to facilitate our purpose, and help AECT achieve its mission and vision.