Executive Secretary Candidate
Brigham Young University - Download Profile/Vita
Hello colleagues! My name is Rick (Richard) West (@richardewest on twitter), and I'm a professor of Instructional Psychology and Technology at Brigham Young University. I teach courses in instructional technology, academic research and writing, creativity and innovation, design psychology, and product/program evaluation. I have over 140 academic and practitioner publications on how to create learning environments that prepare students for the 21st century, including designing environments that foster group creativity through design thinking, utilizing microcredentials and open badges to promote competency learning, the development and support of online learning communities, and emerging technologies to support effective learning. I also highly value the practitioner side of our field, having researched, taught, and created spaces for studio-based teaching that emphasizes students learning through hands-on practice.
I have served in a variety of leadership positions within AECT and our profession. I have been an 18-year continuous member of AECT, and have served in the following positions:
- AECT communications officer for the distance learning division
- AECT board member for the systemic change division
- Twice as member of the AECT Executive Board of Directors (my current position).
- Helped create and run one iteration of the Early Career Symposium for several years
- Past member of multiple AECT Presidential Nominating Committees
- Past member of the IMS Global Digital Credentials executive board, which maintains international technical standards for open badges and other open technologies.
- Organizer and host for the Professors of Instructional Design and Technology Conference (three times).
- Member or past member of the editorial boards for Educational Technology Research and Development, Research of Research on Technology in Education, Educational Technology Magazine, Open Education Studies, Journal of Online Learning Research, and the Educational Media and Technology Yearbook.
- Editor/co-editor of the Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology and Design for Learning: Principles, Processes, and Praxis textbooks.
I have received both division and presidential service awards from AECT for my service. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a candidate for executive secretary and continue my service to AECT!